Friday, August 12, 2011

What is the longest acronym in Higher Education and Student Affairs?

the white whale of large acronyms

We often joke about the alphabet soup of acronyms floating around higher education and student affairs, but what is the longest acronym? I'm starting my hunt for the longest acronym in student affairs, and I need your help! I have supplied a few candidates below, but I have my eye on the elusive White Whale of all acronyms. I know it's out there somewhere!

Here's what I've come up with so far:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Centre EuropĂ©en pour l’Enseignement SupĂ©rieur (European Centre for Higher Education)

Honoring, Urging, and Empowering Same Gender Loving Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered Students of Color

American College Personnel Association Standing Committee for Graduate Students and New Professionals

Center for Research on the Education of Students Placed at Risk


If you know of a longer acronym or abbreviation that is actually used (I want proof) post a comment below with the acronym, what it stands for, and if possible provide a link to the page where it is used.